12 August 2009

Advantage Dodgers

The last two games the Giants have shown the side that prompted me to call them "not a good team" some weeks ago. Their offense has done nothing and their pitchers not named Cain or Lincecum have proved vulnerable to a good hitting.

I think now I would go along with the notion that the Giants are a "slightly good" team. Giants hitters are still getting on base at a lower rate than Giants pitchers allow ( which is really incredible when you realize how good the Giant staff has been ) and the run differential is just a lukewarm +28, but --- the offense is somewhat improved with the additions of Sanchez and Garko, and having those two undoubted aces in Cain and Lincecum does count for a little extra, I think. The Giants are 30-16 when either one of those pitchers starts for them this year. Make no mistake, whether the team as a whole is good or not, the Dodgers are facing a truly elite team today when Lincecum starts.

The Dodgers have actually hit Lincecum fairly well this year in two tries. Lincecum won both games, but he gave up three runs each time, in six and seven innings. I think the Dodgers would gladly take their chances in today's game with that kind of effort against him, and hope that Weaver and Haeger could make some Hae against the Giant hitters and keep things close.


Game 114 Unfair Win Shares ( Dodgers )

Wolf -- 1
Ethier -- 1
Manny -- 1

Wolf was fabulous, though he only had three strikeouts --- kind of strange. But you know, the Giants may be the kind of team where a "pitch to contact" strategy may work. I thought about giving Weaver two shares, but I couldn't deny Manny and Ethier. Ethier had the biggest hit of the game, a double to give the Dodgers a 2-1 lead, and Manny drove in 3 runs after that to put the game out of reach. The most impressive hit of the game belonged to Matt Kemp, who hit a monster home run to deep deep center field, but it came too late for him to collect a reward for it.


Game 114 Unfair Loss Shares ( Giants )

Martinez -- 2
Honest Abe ( Velez ) -- 1

I have to say I'm rather delighted that Eugenio Velez has become a regular for the Giants. I'm fascinated by how much he looks like Abraham Lincoln. Maybe I'm the only one who sees it. Let me check and see ...

No! I'm not the only one! I'm so happy. Check out this link to the McCovey Chronicles, but be warned, may not be safe for work because there is no "rule 1" there ( plenty of f-bombs ). Nickname for Eugenio Velez A nickname involving Lincoln is in the second comment down, but my favorite nickname is in the post below that, by "groug". It's so appropriate given what happened last night, when Honest Abe Velez couldn't handle Martinez's low but catchable throw to second.

I'll have a few posts later today, so be sure to check back.

No comments: